King Dasharatha (दशरथ) was a decendant of King Raghu, son of King Aja and Indumati, King of Ayodhya of Ikshvaku Dynasty and Father of Lord Rama.
The The history of his dynasty is elaborated upon by Valmiki in Ramayana.
Dasharatha had three wives.
Kausalya was the eldest. She was the simplest, kndest and most understanding of all.
Kaikeyi was the second wife, The most beautiful and cunning. She was the one who convinced King Dasharatha to send lord Rama to forest for 14 years (Vanvasa)
Sumitra was the third wife. She was the most intelligent and wise of them all.
Dasharatha had 1 daughter and four sons.
1. Shanta: Shanta was a daughter of the Raja Dasharatha and sister of Lord Rama. She was later given in adoption to Raja Romapada, king of Anga. She was well educated in Veda knowledge, Art, Craft and warfare. She was married to Rishyasringa who also performed a putra kameshthi yajna for Dashratha after which Dasharatha was blessed by four sons: Rama, Bharata, and the twins Lakshmana and Shatrughna.
2. Rama: Rama or Ramachandra is a major Hindu diety and the seventh incarnation (Avatar) of lord Vishnu. Rama was born to Kaushalya. Rama was married to Sita, daughter of King Janaka of Videha. He slayed demon king Ravana, the king of Lanka and freed his wife Sita who was kdnapped. He had two sons, Lava and Kusha.
3. Bharat: Bharat or Bharata was born to Kaikeyi. Bharata was the younger brother of Rama, and a symbol of dharma and idealism. Some legends say that While Rama was incarnation of Vishnu, Bharata was an incarnation of Vishnu’s Sudarshana Chakra. Bharat was married to Mandavi,daughter of Kushadhwaja and Chandrabhaga, brother of King Janaka of Mithila and hence a cousin of Sita.
4. Lakshmana: Sumitra gave birth to Lakshmana and Shatrughna, the twins. Lakshman, also known as Lakhan or Soumitra was the closest companion of Lord Rama. When Rama is considered to be the incarnation of Vishnu and Bharat as Sudarshana Chakra, Lakshman is considered to be an avatar of Shesha or Sheshnaag, the 1000 headed serpent. Lakshmana was married to Urmila, Sita’s younger sister.They had two sons-Angad and Chandraketu. He also served Rama and Sita reverently during the exile.
5. Shatrughna: Shatrughna was the youngest brother of Lord Rama and a twin brother of Lakshmana. He was the slayer of Lavanasura the demon King of Mathura, who was a nephew of Ravana. He was married to Princess Shrutakirti, the third daughter of King Kusadhvaja.
Disclaimer: All images, designs or videos in this page are copyright of their respective owners. We don’t own have these images/designs/videos. We collect them from search engine and other sources to be used as ideas for you. No copyright infringement is intended. If you have reason to believe that one of our content is violating your copyrights, please do not take any legal action as we are trying to spread the knowledge. You can contact us directly to be credited or have the item removed from the site.